Dum Aloo aka Potatoes in spicy gravy is an authentic Indian dish. ‘Dum’ means the veggies or meat or rice is cooked in a pan with an air-tight lid, so that the veggies or meat or rice cook in their own steam.
In the original recipe, baby potatoes are deep fried and then cooked in the spicy tomato – onion gravy. I modified the recipe for more healthier option by boiling the potatoes and later shallow frying them in few teaspoons of oil.
Baby Potatoes – 8 or 9
Onions – 1
Tomatoes – 2 medium sized
Yogurt – 3 tbsp
Green Chillies – 4
Cloves – 4
Cinnamon stick – 1 long stick
Cardamom – 2
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Red Chiili powder – 1 tsp
Garam Masala powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt – to taste
Coriander leaves/Cilantro – for garnish
1. In a huge pan fill with water, add about a tsp of salt and boil the un-peeled potatoes for about 10 to 12 mins. Drain all the water and peel the potatoes now.
2. In another pan, heat oil. Add cloves, cinnamon stick and cardamom pods. Saute for a couple of minutes. Now, add chopped onions and green chillies. Saute well for atleast 7 to 9 mins until the onions are translucent. Now, add the spices – turmeric, red chilli powder, garam masala powder and salt. Saute for a couple of minutes.
3. Now add the chopped tomatoes to the onion mixture. Let cook until the onions are soft and tender. Turn off the stove and let the mixture cool for at-least 5 mins.
4. In the meanwhile, take a pan and add about a tsp of oil and a pinch of turmeric powder. Add the potatoes and fry for a few minutes to get a nice golden color on the potatoes.
5. Take the onion-tomato mixture and blend into a smooth mixture. Add about 1/2 cup water and yogurt. Further blend for a minute or so. Add the gravy to the pan.
6. Next add, the fried baby potatoes to the gravy skillet. Cover with a air-tight lid or place a lid and seal off the gaps with some dough. Let the potatoes further cook in the gravy to take in all the flavors. Keep the stove on low-medium heat and let it simmer for 8 to 10 mins.
7. Remove the lid and check for salt. Adjust if needed. Turn off the heat and serve hot with Roti/Naan/Rice.