2 cups Long Grained Rice (I used Sonamasuri Rice)
1 large Onion, diced
2-3 Green Chilies, finely chopped (Adjust according to taste)
2 large cloves of Garlic, finely chopped
½ inch Ginger, finely chopped
3 tbsp.oil of your choice
2-3 tbsp. finely chopped Spring Onion greens or Coriander Leaves, for garnishing
Salt and Pepper to taste
½ cup Yellow Bell Peppers, sliced
½ cup Red Bell Peppers, sliced
½ cup Sweet Corns, fresh/frozen/canned
½ cup Green Peas
¾ cup Baby Corn, halved and then cut into 1 inch pieces
Sauces Used: (Adjust according to taste)
1 tbsp. Soya Sauce
2 tbsp. Chilli Sauce
1 tbsp. Tomato Sauce
1 tbsp. Worcester Sauce (Optional )
For Schezwan Sauce: (Makes about 2 tbsp or use store bought one)
6-8 Dried Red Chillies, soaked in warm water for 5 minutes and drained4-5 large cloves of Garlic
1 inch Ginger, peeled
Preparing the Rice:
- Wash the rice and soak it in water for around 10 minutes. This not only helps in cooking the rice faster but also helps in getting really long grained rice once cooked.
- Cook the rice either in microwave or pressure cooker or any method you think is the best.
- Once cooked, let the rice cool and then separate each grain with a help of fork and spread it on wide plate.
- Add about 1 tbsp oil and gently mix with the help of a fork. This way each grain will not stick to each other and be separated.
Stir-frying the Vegetables:
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a wok to smoking hot and then reduce the heat to medium-high.
- Add finely chopped garlic, green chillies and sauté for few seconds.
- Immediately add diced onions and ginger and stir fry them till onions turn light golden, about 2-3 minute.
- Next add bell peppers and sauté them for a minute or two.
- Mix in baby corn stir fry them for a minute or two.
- Add in green peas, stir fry for a minute or two. Take care that the vegetables are not cooked to soft but are half cooked and retains their crunch and color.
- Now add all the sauces mentioned above along with salt and pepper to taste and give them a good toss.
- Add the cooked rice and mix them well so that each grain is coated well with sauce. Stir fry them for 3-4 minutes till each grain is heated through.
- Finally switch off the gas and toss in finely chopped spring onion greens or coriander leaves.