Zucchini, Squash, Red Onions, Mozzarella, Spinach Pesto and Sourdough bread
- 1 zucchini, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 squash, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 small red onion, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 green bell pepper cut into 1/2 inch thick slices
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Sourdough Bread
- 1/2 cup Spinach Pesto, recipe follows
- 8 ounces fresh packed mozzarella cheese, sliced
- Sun dried Tomatoes – few
- Heat the grill according to the instructions. Drizzle oil over the surface of the grill.
- Place the onions, zucchini, squash, bell peppers on the grill and cook until grill marks appears on them.
- Cut the bread into one inch thick slices.
- Working with one bread piece at a time, spread pesto on each bread. Take one slice place onions, zucchini, squash, bell peppers, mozzarella, sun dried tomatoes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Can also add some Italian spices or red chilli flakes. Place another slice of bread on top.
- Grill it for about 4-5 minutes or until the grill marks appears on both sides of the bread and the cheese is melted.
Yields – 1cup
2 cups fresh baby spinach
1/4 cup toasted walnuts
2 garlic cloves, peeled
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup (about) extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
In a blender, pulse the spinach, walnuts, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper until finely chopped. With the blender still running, gradually add enough oil to form a smooth and thick consistency. Transfer the pesto to a medium bowl and stir in 1/2 cup of cheese. Season the pesto with more salt and pepper, to taste. (The pesto can be made 2 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
- For a traditional pesto recipe basil is used. Can also substitute with arugula for a peppery flavor.
- Pine nuts can also be used instead of walnuts( I am out of pine nuts hence used walnuts).
- Japanese Eggplants, fresh tomatoes, carrots, mushrooms can be added too.
- Another way to prepare the sandwich is to marinate the veggies in olive oil with Italian herbs, red chilli flakes, salt, pepper, a pinch of garam masala. Let it sit for about half an hour and then place on the grill.