The recipe is adapted from here.
Basmati Rice – 2 cups
Water – 2 3/4 cups
Tomatoes – 4 (cut into thin slices)
Onion – 1 ( thinly sliced)
Green chillies – 4 ( slit length wise, can adjust according to the spice level)
Ginger Garlic Paste – 1tsp
Cloves, Cardamom, Cinnamon – 2 each
Coriander Leaves – 1 stalk
Salt to taste
- Wash and soak the rice for 30mts.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker ( I have a small cooker which is perfect for small amount of biryani). Add the 3 whole spices.
- Then add the onions and sauté them until translucent. Then goes ginger garlic paste, green chillies.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for about 4 minutes till they are mushy.
- Add the coriander leaves, water and bring to a boil. Add the rice , salt and cook until 3 whistles.
- Let the pressure release and serve with any raita of your choice. I have served it with cucumber raita and below is the recipe for it.
Cucumbers – 3 (Peeled and grated)
Green chillies – 3 ( cut into small pieces)
Yogurt – 1 cup
Mustard Seeds – 1tsp
Hing – a pinch
- Remove excess water from the grated cucumbers.
- Add yogurt, salt, green chillies and mix well.
- Heat oil in a small pan, add mustard seeds, hing and when the mustard seeds splutters remove and add to cucumber mixture.
- Serve with biryani or chapathi.