This biryani can be prepared in two ways one being the stove top method which is the basic method and the other in the oven. I have prepared using oven method as it sounds pretty easy compared to the first. So here goes the recipe.
Basmati Rice – 3 cups (Wash cleanly and soak for about 20 minutes)
Potatoes – 4
Onions – 2 (sliced length wise)
Coriander Leaves – few chopped
Mint – few leaves
Green chillies – 5 ( slit length wise)
Ginger garlic paste – 1tsp
Thick yogurt – 1 cup
Turmeric – 1tsp
Chilli Powder – 1tsp
Garam Masala – 1tsp
Coriander Powder – 1tsp
Lemon Juice – 1tsp
Salt to taste
Saffron – few strands soaked in lukewarm milk for 10 mins
For cooking Basmati Rice
Bay leaf – 1
Cardamom – 4
Star Anise – 2
Cloves – 3
Cinnamon – 1/2” stick
Pepper Corns – 4
Mint leaves – 3-4
Oil – 1/2tsp
Salt to taste
- Peel the potatoes, slice them into cubes, and fry them until golden color in 1tsp of ghee.
- Boil 4.5 cups of water. When water starts to boil add all the ingredients needed for cooking Basmati Rice. Let this cook for 10 mins so that the Basmati Rice is half cooked.
- In another pan add the onions and fry them until they caramelize. Don’t forget to mix as the onions may burn easily.
- In a large bowl add yogurt, turmeric, green chillies, chilli powder, garam masala, coriander powder, salt, lemon juice, coriander leaves, potatoes and mix well. Cover the bowl and let the marinate sit for 30 mins.
- Once the Basmati Rice is half cooked, drain the remaining water and let it cool completely on large wide plate.
- Heat a pan and drizzle some oil. Add the potato marinate, fry for some time until the gravy thickness and potato is almost fork tender.
- Meanwhile preheat the oven at 350F. Take an aluminum tray and coat with oil on all sides.
- Place a layer of potato mixture, then rice and then some caramelized onions. Repeat this process until the rice and potato mixture is finished.
- Pour the saffron milk over the rice, and sprinkle with coriander and mint leaves.
- Seal the tray with aluminum foil and bake for 20-25 minutes. Once done leave the tray in the oven for another 10mins.
- Remove into a serving bowl and serve either with raita or curry of your choice.