With Christmas around the corner, I am thinking to post a few cakes and snacks recipes to try out in these holidays. Coming to today’s recipe it’s a classic cherry cake which I have baked a year ago on one of my daughter’s monthly birthday. I have adapted the recipe from frame>by>frame baking cook book. This is a visual step by step cook book contains cakes, cookies, pastries, and breads.
Unsalted Butter – 3/4 cup, plus extra for greasing (room temperature)
Candied Cherries – 1 1/4 cups (quartered)
Ground Almonds – 1 cup
All purpose flour – 1 1/2 cups
Baking powder – 1tsp
Superfine sugar – 1cup
Eggs – 3
Zest and Juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 350F / 180C. Grease and line an 8-inch round cake pan.
- Stir together the cherries, almonds, and 1 tablespoon of the flour, so that the cherries and almonds don’t lay at the bottom of the cake. Sift the remaining flour into a separate bowl with the baking powder.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually add the eggs beating hard, until evenly mixed.
- Add the flour mixture and fold lightly and evenly into the creamed mixture with a metal spoon. Add the cherry mixture, fold in evenly, then fold in the lemon zest and juice.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan and bake in the preheated oven for 1-1 1/4 hours, or until risen and golden brown and shrinking from the sides of the pan.
- Let cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.