Bitter gourd pitla aka sambhar
Bitter gourd – 4 (Cut in to small pieces and cook in buttermilk)
Toor dal – 1/2 cup (pressure cook )
Chana dal – 1 spoon
Corriander seeds – 1 spoon
Red Chilies – 5
Rice – 1/2 spoon
Coconut – 1/4 cup
Turmeric – 1/4 tsp
Sugar – 1 spoon
Curry leaves – few
Mustard Seeds – 1 spoon
Oil – 1 tsp
Asafoetida – a pinch
- Take a utensil, place the cooked bitter gourd pieces, tamarind pulp, turmeric and bring to a boil until the rawness of tamarind wares out.
- In a pan heat about 1/2 tsp of ghee and to that add chana dal, corriander seeds, rice, red chillies and fry until it the seeds change color to brown. Let it cool down.
- Now grind the above fried mixture to a coarse powder. To this, add coconut little bit of water and grind to a paste.
- Add the cooked dal, ground paste to the bitter gourd pieces. Add salt, sugar and about 1 cup of water and bring to a boil.
- Once the pitla comes to boil, heat a pan with oil and add the tempering ingredients. When the mustard seeds starts to splutter remove from heat and add to the pitla.
- Serve hot with steaming rice with a dollop of ghee and papad.