Though its a working day, I have made all the necessary preparations the day before. Woke up early in the morning and prepared neivedyam for god.
Neivedyam – Rice, Dosakayapappu,Modak, Undram, Banana.
Coming to today’s special dishes Undrallu and Modak (Jilledakayalu)
Recipe for Undrallu
Bobbarlu ( Red Chori ) – 1/4 cup ( fry it and soak overnight )
Rice Nooka – 1 cup ( wash raw rice, dry it and grind it to a coarse powder)
Jaggery – 1 spoon
Salt to taste
1. Clean the soaked bobbarlu.
2. In a pressure cooker add 2 cups of water and let it boil. To this add rice nooka, bobbarlu, jaggery and salt. Cook it for couple of whistles.
3. Once the pressure is released, let the mixture cool a bit.
4. Oil the hands and roll the mixture in to round shape ( about the size of an orange).
5. Enjoy the undrallu with any chutney or avakaya.
Recipe for Kudumulu (Modak or Jilledakayalu)
This is called by so many names, but by what name its called the procedure is the same.
Finished modak on the left hand side, coconut- jaggery balls on right hand side.
Rice flour – 1 cup
Water – 1-1/2cups
Salt – 1/4 spoon
Coconut – 1cup
Jaggery – 3/4cup
Cardamom seeds – few
1. First heat a pan on medium flame. To this add grated coconut, jaggery and few drops of water. Once the mixture comes close add the cardamom seeds ( powdered) and mix well. Remove from heat and roll out in to small size lemon shaped balls.
2. Heat a pan and add 1 cup of water and salt. Once the water is boiling, remove from heat.
3. Slowly add the rice flour until the desired consistency is obtained.
4. Let the mixture cool a bit. Now apply oil to your hands and take a small amount of rice flour mixture and flatten it on the palm with the help of water.
5. In the middle place the coconut – jaggery ball and cover it all sides with the mixture ( Just like stuffing of parathas).
6. Repeat the procedure for all the balls. Once done place them in a idli utensil and steam for couple of minutes.
Notes: Normally the jilledakayalu are rolled out to oval shape, but i find the round ones easy to prepare. You can prepare in any shape of your wish.